Powered by Blogger.

Aging (Part 2)

June 16, 2020


“You don’t realize the beauty of it then…when I was twenty, I thought I was going to die when I became thirty. I became thirty, and unsurprisingly I was alive. When I became forty, I realized being thirty was really beautiful then. I became fifty and sadly I was the same. When I was seventy, I’d look back to when I was sixty and think how beautiful it was. In front of death, every past moment is the climax of your life. All ages are like a flower – you just don’t know its beauty then.
Paraphrased from About Time (Korean drama) 

Continuing with my exploration in aging, I switch track to Michael Kinsley’s Old Age: a Beginner’s Guide. Mixing irreverent humour with his personal journey with Parkinson’s disease, Kinsley writes,

“While life and luck can bestow many gifts — money, good looks, love, power — longevity is one that people seems least reluctant to brag about — as if living to ninety were primarily the result of hard work or prayer, rather than good genes and luck.”
 
He expands on “competitions” of old age:

Competitive consumerism: self-explanatory lifestyles of Boomers and Yuppies alike.  
Competitive longevity: not just how long you live but also how you die.
 
“Sixty is about when people stop being surprised if you look old or drop dead. It’s another decade before they stop pretending to be surprised. At age sixty-three, a cohort of one hundred starts losing one person every year. By age one hundred, only three persons are left.
“A quick and painless death is preferable. What’s quick? Maybe a brisk but not sudden slide into oblivion to make your farewells, plan your funeral, cut people out of your will…”

Competitive cognition: the winners die with more marbles.

“Over one quarter of Boomers are expected to develop some form of dementia (9% for a sixty-five year old man). After age eighty-five, it’s fifty-fifty. So Boomer Death-style Olympics have two forms: dying last and dying lucid.”

However, Kinsley comments that in the end (!), people spend longer time dead than they did alive.

“So the real, ultimate, final competition is not about living large, living long, or living lucid. It’s reputation. Fame happens during our lifetime; reputation is what happens after you’re dead — a favourable one you hope.”

He concludes by challenging the current generation to consider a gesture of sacrifice to inspire the next. 

***

My first self-portrait was penned almost a decade ago after hearing the song, “When I’m Sixty-Four.” 

When Im Fifty-Five

Cycling on my elliptical
“Song-writing” came on TV 
Loving lyrics atypical, 
I wondered what my song would be 
 
Funny feeling this fifty-five,
Mystical, myth or mystery
Coming attraction in my life,
God please once more deliver me

Normal to have self-reflection,
My time has come and gone so fast   
Who knows when in God’s election,
I too will come to pass as “past?”
 
A time to live not yet to die,
I want to plant and build some more
Yet closer to the end I sigh, 
What still for me has God in store? 

Forgetting lots and lots to forget,
Price or prize of cognitive decline
Of praises and unspoken regrets,
I ponder in my Auld Lang Syne
 
Forget the past and press ahead,
Toward the prize Jesus beckons
The source and end by Spirit led,
On faith in Christ my life reckons

My wedding anniversary,
Silver sterling arrives upon  
Memories in my treasury,
Of golden moments to carry on
 
Cats in the Cradle, Just like me,
Or should I say I’m like my Dad 
Seeing my kids, myself I see,
In them my good and sadly bad

Doctor, teacher, and missions abroad,
Passion for music, films, and puns 
Have mercy, my Lord and God, 
Take wheat from chaff when I am done
 
In faith with family and friends,
My life began and continues to be 
If sixty-four my life does end,
May the same song I sing to thee
 
Both my father and grandfather died at age sixty-four, a fact that resides as a haunting shadow and signpost in my subconscious as my own wheel of life rolls forward. Now at that age when “death stares at you in your face” (Kinsley), I reflect on all the beautiful metaphors for meditation and reflection: a wagon wheel, a gnarled tree, a beautiful flower, or a bouncing ball of life “with ups and downs but eventually lying flat” (Lessness, Lance Olsen).

My self-portrait now continues:

My wheel rolling, more gnarled my tree, 
Begonia* aged sixty-three 
My ball bouncing, though “doing” less,
Thank God my life “be” still to bless
 
In health declined, my mind inclined
To read and write and wisdom find
Thank you, dear friends and family,
This privilege to age with thee
 *From my Chinese name



You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Brought a lump to my throat...I've come to realize one of the best parts of being an aging servant of Christ is that we don't take things for granted. Every morning is a new day, new chances, fresh mercies. Every moment, every opportunity, every person is a gift...

    ReplyDelete
  2. All ages are like a flower; you just don't know its beauty then... A good reminder to be grateful for each new day and to live in the present

    ReplyDelete